Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Week One

It's hard to believe it's already been more than a week since arriving! Camp was full of life when I first got in, but slowed down greatly with all the guys leaving for Canoe Camp last Monday. The staff like to call this the "calm before the storm" as Rental Camp is waiting right around the corner for us this coming week!
Rewinding here briefly, this is a picture of my first flight to Anchorage....
While waiting in the airport, birds were flying overhead inside and eating crumbs on the carpet! It was quite the sight and a pleasant change of scenery for the airport.;) They were getting in through an outdoor restaurant's patio.....;)
 Jumping to the present! We had several different jobs last week, among which was painting! Working together on every job gave Angela ( my roommate for the summer) and I the perfect opportunity to get to know one another better!:)
 Letting the first coat dry...
 On break times, I really enjoyed skyping with Ryan at Ironwood-praise the Lord for a strong enough connection!
 As well as our good friend Susie from last summer...
 ...who introduced me to her two roomates at college, Bella from Korea....
 ....and Michelle from the Bahamas! It was neat to be able to have some brief fellowship with this sisters in the Lord.:)
 And of course there was a phone call for me from 10 very special people from CA over the Skype one night.....:D
Introducing Angela....the wonders of technology these days!!
Another day found Angela and I cleaning windows. Here Angela is braving the ladder...;)
Two nights we girls had a sleepover with the younger Craven girls.....
Time for some Skip-Bo with Sierra and Angela!
This next set of pictures spills into this week. While we've been busy around camp, we are constantly surrounded by the beauty of God's creation. It often amazes me how many lessons the Lord teaches us through it!
The girls bathhouse, which has to be cleaned every weekend, gives us quite the workout. Some of our cleaning tools include a long garden hose, a huge squeegee, a extra big sanitizer spray bottle that takes two hands to use, and a nice long scrub brush!;)
Mealtimes we've been busy in the kitchen-washing hands is a must before each new job is begun...
The dining hall as seen from the kitchen doorway...
Mrs. Craven (the director's wife) gave some of us older girls the job of making lunches...
Working with Cheyenne and Angela on burritos for lunch here...we've had a lot of fun together staying in the cooks' cabin and working around camp. Cheyenne is the oldest daughter of the Craven family, and is in the cabin with us while her Grandparents and Aunt are visiting.
Angela cutting up lettuce.....
As soon as dishes are no longer needed, they go to the dishwash where they are sprayed clean with water and set through the sanitizer....
Some of the Craven children keeping themselves occupied while waiting for lunch with a game of Dutch Blitz.....
Lunchtime.....This particular day Mrs. Craven had taken her mother and aunt on a boat tour, so it was just us girls and Mr. and Mrs. Garris.
 
The Lord has been teaching me a lot about looking to eternity and not letting my affections be caught up in this life. While our hopes, desires and dreams may be good things, even honoring to the Lord, one day this life will be gone-eternity with Christ is what will last! Thinking on this I would like close with two new songs I have learned this summer. I hope the words are an encouragement to you.:)
Only One Life
 
Only one life and white are the fields!
With compassion, this great need I view;
This one life that I have I will yield,
And the little I can, let me do.
 
Chorus:
 
Only one, life to give!
I could never withhold it from God!
Only one, life to live,
I must not miss the "Well Done" of God!
 
 
What Grace Is Mine
 
Chorus:
So I will go wherever He is calling me.
I lose my life to find my life in Him!
I give my all to gain the hope that never dies!
I bow my heart, take up my cross and follow Him.
 
 
 

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
                                                                       
                                                                                                                               Galatians 2:20

2 comments: