Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Church Fellowship And Russian Falls Hike

 
This past Sunday we had a lunch fellowship, baptism, and afternoon communion service at Soldotna Baptist Church. (This is where we have been going to church during our stay at camp.)
The foyer....
 Erica joined us for the day and we had another wonderful time of fellowship and visiting!:)
 Savannah C. loves Susie..:)
 Waiting for the afternoon baptism and communion service to start. This has become "our row" since we've been here. It's so funny how that happens. I guess we are creatures of habit.:P
 Erica and I wore our kuspuks for the day.:) We were so happy to spend more time together!!:)
 Two young people got baptized before the communion time. Here Dakota C. was first...
 After the communion service was over Mr. Craven invited those of us who wanted to go to hike to the Russian Falls, an easy one about an hour away.
 The scenery was so pretty on the way!
 Starting the 2 mile trail-it was so beautiful!
 Signing in for our party....
 I saw a good amount of fireweed on the trail!! I'd really hoped to get some pictures of the beautiful blossoms myself, during this trip and so this was pretty exciting for me!:) Susie thought it was funny how thrilled I was to find them blooming enough to photograph well...:P (Isn't God kind, Mommy!;)
  A little stream...
 This part of the trail going up to the falls was more of a valley and we could see the mountains around us!
 The river racing to meet the falls.....still not there yet.
 More fireweed, Sarah!;)
 Here we arrived at the falls. They were beautiful but not quite the way I had imagined. They gradually go down the mountain rather than just dropping off suddenly, several feet below.:)
 Sequia enjoying a cookie while we took in the view.....
 There was no way to capture the real beauty of the falls and the trees on the mountains, towering up toward to the skies around us. It really made me think of how creation continues to shout forth the handiwork of God-no matter what people say about it.
 Can you see the Salmon? If you look closely you might find them. I saw one jump through the falls- that was a pretty neat experience!;)
 Montana and his sister-He really reminds me of Joshua at times....:)
 Seagulls watching the falls, looking for food....
Reminds me of the hymn, How Great Thou Art:
When through the woods, and forest glades I wander, and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur and see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

 Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee, how great Thou art, How great Thou art.
 Peter and Missy Shamblin(part of our staff).....
 Enjoying snacks on the deck overlooking the falls.....
 While we hiked I was amazed at all the beauty and creation surrounding me. The falls is obvious in it's existence and as huge as it was to me, making me feel so small, I remembered how much bigger our universe really is in comparison!
 A group photo before heading back down....
 One more glimpse of the falls....:) It was a beautiful place and I was grateful for the opportunity to experience it in person!:)
 If it's not obvious, my favorite flower here in Alaska is fireweed.....:D It is so beautiful!
 Heading back, Peter Missy and I were in the front but towards the middle of the trail we ended up behind most of the others. I'm not sure how they ended up there but I know for me, I stopped several times to get some good pictures. Since I got to walk behind them a ways, I enjoyed the opportunity to observe them as a couple. Watching them interact reminded me of why God created marriage and how precious it really is.

This week I am counseling with Hannah, Ryan has a cabin and Daniel is doing the stretcher program-it's basically a training time for young people who want to experience camp ministry life. We are doing well-tired but it's been a good two days so far. This is a smaller group so we hope to have more time for one-on-one. Pray for open hearts and clear testimonies! A lot of these campers seem to be familiar with the things of the Lord but, unsure about salvation. Christ is the only way to heaven-nothing else! Pray for the Lord to make Himself known to them this week.:)

“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;  that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. "
                                                             John17:20-21






2 comments:

  1. It looks like you are having a wonderful time at Higher Ground! How fun that you could see and visit with Erica, too.

    You must be pretty homesick by now. I've only been gone for one month, and I am. :) I hope that the rest of your time in Alaska is blessed and goes well. I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ash. Some of those pictures you could play the Hobbit theme too. :)
    love you.

    cvs

    ReplyDelete